Monday, June 22, 2015

Ayano Mashiro Interview: "I Want to Get Closer to My Fans"

comments

She has been in love with anime culture since young and is finally living the dream.

Hokkaido-born singer Ayano Mashiro held her first performance outside of Japan over the weekend of June 20th and 21st, at the inaugural CharaExpo anime, comics and games (ACG) convention in Singapore. The up-and-rising singer has been invited to perform at Anime Expo 2015 in Los Angeles next, on July 4th.

Ayano Mashiro - up-and-rising anisong singer to watch

Making her major debut in 2014 with "ideal white", the opening to Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works, Ayano Mashiro is the next big anisong singer to watch. She followed her debut with "vanilla sky", the opening theme to the Gunslinger Stratos anime and is set to release her third single, "infinity beyond" in the summer.

We spoke to Ayano Mashiro about her first overseas live, her love for anime, Gundam and her hobbies.


Ayano Mashiro performed overseas for the first time in Singapore

Your live performance was magnificent! How are you feeling?

Thank you! I have previously performed live at many events in Japan. That was my first time performing overseas, and in Singapore too. Initially, I was very nervous.

Personally, I like to get closer to my fans. I knew that anime culture was popular here but I had no idea what to expect. Thoughts were buzzing about in my head. "How would the turnout be? I can't speak English. What should I do?"

However, my nervousness wore off once I felt the ardour and zest of the Singaporean fans.

I got the feeling that many anime culture fans had been eagerly looking forward to my performance. I enjoyed myself and had a lot of fun.



Let's talk about "ideal white", the first song which you performed just now. How did the title come about?

The title was decided by the lyricist. There was an emphasis to include the word "shiro" in the title to reflect my name "Mashiro".

As for the word "ideal", it is a target for me to strive towards- to give my best in everything that I do.



Have you always aspired to be a singer?

Yes, I absolutely loved singing when I was young. I also used to watch many animes and listen to many anisongs when I was younger. Anime has become a part of my being.

I'm very thankful that I can be an anisong singer now. It is a dream come true for me.

What do you like about anime culture?

I feel that anime fans treasure the culture a lot. I like that they hold it as something special and close to their hearts. I hope that my songs will hold a special place in people's hearts too- something that can change their lives.

Singing anisongs also gives me a broader world view. I want to get closer to the world and the many anime fans around the globe.



What are some of your inspirations?

Hmm, let me recall... The first CD which I purchased was Nami Tamaki's "Believe" (Gundam Seed's opening). I think that marked the beginning of my anisong journey. I'm glad that I could make it to where I am today- singing anisongs for a career.

I'm also delighted to be able to meet so many happy fans at every event. I find it amazing hearing how people can be so deeply impacted by anisongs.

Would you like to sing for Gundam someday?

Definitely! I would love to sing for Gundam if I get the chance to!



How is 'a day in the life of Ayano Mashiro' like outside of work? Share with us some of your hobbies and interests!

I watch anime quite frequently. Occasionally, I would head out to manga kissa (manga cafes) to read manga and books.

I also love watching movies! Sometimes, I would watch movies alone. I do many activites by myself most of the time.


Ayano Mashiro has a deep love for anime culture and her fans

Lastly, how do you feel about Singapore?

I love Singapore! It has grown on me a lot! I would love to return here, perform at more events and meet my fans!

I hope that more people will come to enjoy anime culture and enjoy my live performance. I will do my best to be back here again!


Ayano Mashiro's attacked by a Zaku! SAVE HER!!!

We sure hope to see Ayano Mashiro back in Singapore again soon! Not next year, but this year! With her energetic performance and powerful vocals, she never fails at commanding a crowd. Not to mention that she is really adorable and cute too!

If there's one important thing she taught us, it's "NAMARA TANOSHII! なまら楽しい!" (Very Fun!)

Check back for our review of Ayano's first overseas live performance in Singapore in the days ahead!


--
Interview article by XDantheManX Online
Interview pictures taken by Roaming Dog
Stage pictures copyright CharaExpo 2015.
Zaku picture copyright Ayano Mashiro's Twitter


 Check out our CharaExpo coverage here: